Shire of Augusta Margaret River
In May 1830 Governor Stirling led a party of settlers on board the "Emily Taylor" to the mouth of the a river and inlet reported by sealers. Exploring the river, Stirling named it the Blackwood, after Vice Admiral Sir Henry Blackwood under whom he had served. Stirling also decided to declare a townsite at the mouth of the river, naming it Augusta in honour of Princess Augusta Sophia, 2nd daughter of King George IV and Queen Charlotte (1768-1840).
The townsite of Margaret River is located on the Margaret River from which it derives its name. The Margaret River itself was named in 1831 by John Garrett Bussell on one of his early exploration forays. The name is first shown on a map of the region published in 1839.